Saturday, March 28, 2009

Don't be the dandelion.

Recently I took part in some security training on how to handle high stress and possibly violent confrontations. One of the things that was stressed was "Don't be the dandelion," referencing the weed that sometimes springs up in a freshly mowed yard and stands out because it is the only thing that tall in the whole lawn. Instead, we are to be inconspicuous, be gray, and blend in.

Today I was the dandelion all day long. Not that I was concerned about security, but my family was so far from inconspicuous that it was comical. We wheeled through the Atlanta airport with two pink strollers, three pink carseats, and all the hoopla that is the Brou family in transit. Later on we were in the Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris. Thankfully we had shed to all the pink accessories, but we still had the obvious look of dumb tourists who had no clue where they were going. We finished up by picking up our baggage in the Bilbao airport. There I was with three carts carrying nine 50 lb. bags, one oversized bike bag, three pink carseats, two pink strollers, and three children who were completely stoked to be out of the confinement of an airplane seat. I am sure that it was a sight to see. If someone was looking for the dandelion, he would have found me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment