Sunday, February 15, 2009

Who are you and why are you naked?

I was reading in the Gospel of Mark today and was intrigued by a few verses that I am sure I have read a number of times, but that I don't seem to remember. At the conclusion of the account of the betrayal of Jesus, we read these curious verses in Mark 14:51-52: "A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked."

Since my books are all in a crate being shipped overseas, I can't consult any of my commentaries. If anyone has any ideas about this guy, let me know. In the meantime, I will try to do a little research and get back to this in a future post.

2 comments:

Lyndale Holloway said...

The NAC gives a much better explanation, but I am not typing it out. Here is the LAC.

"Only Mark records the incident of this young man (a man between twenty-four and forty years old) who also fled the scene. Tradition says that this young man may have been John Mark, the writer of this Gospel, in whose home the Last Supper may have taken place (see the explanation on 14:13). If that is true, at some point Mark had awakened from sleep (he had probably been sleeping in a linen garment or had a sheet wrapped around him) and had followed the disciples to the garden. Perhaps soldiers had come to the house looking for Jesus and this young man had attempted to warn Jesus before the soldiers reached him. He had left the house quickly, with only a linen garment or sheet wrapped around him.
But in Gethsemane, the crowd had already arrested Jesus and the disciples had fled. Someone grabbed this young man, perhaps hoping to use him as a witness. At that, the young man fled, leaving his garment behind.
—Life Application Bible Commentary"

strangebrou said...

Thank Lyndale. It was great to read this earlier this week. I was able to chew on it a little while. I found a couple of commentaries here in Richmond, so my next post will reveal some of the things I found.

Post a Comment